Our American Experience

US History, American Lit, Travel, & Performance

Jefferson vs. Hamilton: Whose Vision Endures?

September 28, 2010 by marywhite · 64 Comments · US History

The conflict that took shape in the 1790s between the Federalists and the Antifederalists exercised a profound impact on American history.The Federalists, led by Alexander Hamilton, represented the urban mercantile interests of the seaports; the Antifederalists, led by Thomas Jefferson, spoke for the rural and southern interests. The debate between the two concerned the power of the central government versus that of the states, with the Federalists favoring the former and the Antifederalists advocating states’ rights.

Complete the online activity, “You Decide: Jefferson or Hamilton?” The site is presented in an interesting point/counterpoint format, in which quotations from Hamilton and Jefferson are interwoven with background text and the recurring question, “Who had the more enduring vision for the United States?”

Assignment: Write a well-developed paragraph arguing that either Jefferson or Hamilton had the more enduring vision, citing reasons to support your opinions. In the paragraph, answer the following questions: What part of either man’s vision is still alive in America today? How does today’s society reflect the goals set for either man’s ideals? How did the debate between Jefferson and Hamilton shape the political system of the United States?

Tags:

64 Comments so far ↓

• zm28901

Hamilton and Jefferson had two radically different ideas for the future of America. Thomas Jefforson wanted to keep the power with the people and focused on trying to create a just government. Alexander Hamilton believed that the federal government should hold the power and wanted to make the United States as rich and powerful as possible. In my opinion, Hamilton’s vision has stood the test of time. In todays society the rich prosper, while the poor suffer. Our cities are growing while the rural areas are dying out. I think some of Jefforson’s ideas would have been better for the country, but Hamilton’s view has for the most part taken control.

• john28901

God Zach, you are a flippin genious! You must have spent HOURS researching on this very difficult topic. If you don’t get extra credit for this post, I’m never coming to school again.

• hannah28901

This is a good paragraph, Zach, but maybe you could provide more examples as far as including the beliefs and visions they proposed for our country and also, include some events or instances that clearly demonstrate how it has been active in our government. I think that it would not only lengthen your paragraph, but improve the quality as well because you will have more support to back up your reasoning in why you believe Hamilton’s view has taken a greater affect on our political system over time.

• rachel28901

Jefferson, thinking of the people of this country and trusting the actions of the people, has the most enduring vision in my opinion. “They may be led astray for a moment, but will soon correct themselves,” illustrates how Jefferson believed the government should solely be based on the people of America. Jefferson felt that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness were to be given to every man, and this vision of Jefferson is still alive and prospering in today’s society. Today’s society is reflected in Jefferson’s ideas by having rights and freedom for every American citizen. He said some of the most inspiring and everlasting words that no man will ever forget…”All men are created equal.” Those five words helped build the US not only in the Constitution but in the political system as a whole. Having Jefferson giving his insight on what the citizens of America should have and the strict overbearing opinions of Hamilton helped equal out the ideas of the US political system. Hamilton wanted to focus more on what would be a good way to make America a world power, and Jefferson as stated above wanted to focus more on the people. The debate between Hamilton and Jefferson helped form the political system because we all have to have some structure in the government which is what Hamilton brought to the table, and we all have to have a sense of freedom which is what Jefferson brought. Both men had good ideas, but Jefferson’s visions are more of what America’s society is based upon today.

• damion28901

Rachel I like how you supporded your ideas and how you stuck with what you belived. This is a very good point of view even though I picked Hamilton.

• ian28901

Rachel, you had a very good argument for Jefferson. Even though i picked Hamilton, your thoughts make a great amount of sense for why Jefferson’s ideas suited you better. Good Job!!

• hannah28901

In my gatherings of information about both Jefferson and Hamilton, I have concluded that Hamilton’s vision remained and influenced America over time more so than Jefferson’s. According to Hamilton’s perception of the future country, he believed that industries and manufacturing was the better pathway to take concerning the economy and employment. Today, I think we can easily comprehend the significance of the numerous factories and industries in business and available for us to take advantage of. With the current absence of employers and money in our economy, imagine how poor our society would be if our primary jobs earning the income for a man and his family included farming and living a low-density life; this was the beliefs of Thomas Jefferson. It would be very difficult trying to provide for your family and all of the assets necessary in civilization this day and age by living the lifestyle in which Jefferson believed to be best for our country in its future years. Glancing at our political system, though, both mean contributed to the construction and lasting existence of it. The ideas that Hamilton and Jefferson proposed aided in the development of a strong national government, but the separation of powers between the states and national government as well.

• WillSTER

Good job Hannah i can see you researched and know what you are talkiing about and you provided really good examples to back up your views. Good job!

• hannah28901

I made a couple grammatical errors:
      -Today, I think we can easily comprehend the significance of the numerous factories and industries in business THAT ARE available for us to take advantage of.
      -Glancing at our political system, though, both MEN contributed to the construction and lasting existence of it.

• Sheliah

Both Jefferson’s and Hamilton’s visions are alive because Jefferson wanted to rely more on agriculture while Hamilton was focused more on buildings and cities. In my opinion, Hamilton’s vision is more used today in America’s society because there are more people that would rather live and work in the city instead of working on a farm. I think that the fact that Hamilton wanted to survive with the use of big cities and big businesses to get more money was a great goal to think about. Although, striving every day no matter what the weather may be, doing farm work and making little money to live off of was another great way to show how hardworking and committed some people of America can be if they set their mind to do something that they know will make a difference. The debate between Jefferson and Hamilton shaped the political system of the United States by bringing out the fact that even though there are both rich and poor people, both Jefferson and Hamilton wanted what they thought was best for the country at that time. Both Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton had amazing ideas for this country even though there was separation of rich and poor people; they still had dreams to make this country a better place through any situation.

• Sheliah

I know that I was suppose to choose one, but it was very complicated for me to choose between two really inspiring people because I tried my best side with one of them, but I just couldn’t. Sorry :(

• damion28901

Sheliah I know how you feel. I had a hard time choosing which one I would go for. I think the best way to deside would be to really think which brung more to the table and really wanted what is best for the country.
        Hope this helped.

• amber28901

I agree with making the hard choice on the two, and you had very productive examples and good reasons. I agree with Damion, just think of which one of the two brings more to the future today and been most helpful to our society.
        :)

• rachel28901

I understand that it would be hard to decide on which one to comment about. I think that you can still like them both, but to answer the question of the assignment fully you could just focus on one man and then at the end say something about the other guy (how much you liked him as well).

• Andrew

It also was hard for me to choose between these men because some ideas from both men were to my liking. Try experiencing the “whatever” though when you can’t choose between things and go with whatever you chose. That’s how I did this. Good effort.

• hannah28901

Sheliah, you did a good job of providing examples as to what both men contributed to our country and government through the years. Some advice, though, for when you have to write about supporting one side over the other in an argument: Jot down the pro’s and con’s of each person and their beliefs. You can also include examples of events that occured in history that help support your reasoning. Then, take a look at your brainstorming and see which of the two ended up with more information, that way, even if you don’t firmly believe or agree with the person, you will have a stronger paper, paragraph, etc. since you will have more details to support it!

• Lauren (:

Yeah Sheliah, this is a really good paragraph. It was really good that you had examples of how both men tried helping our country. :) You did a good job on it (: The thing that made me choose Hamilton though was mainly that Jefferson didn’t free his slaves. :( what a mean man!! But anyways, yeah this was a really good paragraph :)

• ian28901

All of these comments are true Sheliah, you had a great paragraph, but you need to state who you think had a better view on things. Also Hannah has a great idea for you to try, maybe i will too haha.

• --LUTHER--

Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton both had a broad perspective in how the government should be. Jefferson sided on a more people controling government, where the people ran the government and did not have a over controling government. Hamilton on the other hand sided on a more government controling government, where the government would try and make money and be more like a dictatorship, but without the single ruler and how strict it is. Jefferson had a more enduring vision for the United States. Jefferson, even though he owned slaves, believed that all men possessed unalienable rights, including life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Alexander Hamilton on the other hand was comfortable with the prospect of a gap between the rich and the poor and he thought that only a strong central government could promote prosperity. Hamilton also publicly opposed slavery, while vocally insisted that there would always be social inequality. Jefferson once said, “Put a question to a professor and a plowman,” he said, “and you’d get the better answer from the plowman.” Thomas Jefferson believed that the growth of the United States depended on the rural areas and farm land of the United States. He also believed that the large groups of people in the big cities add to the problems of the government. Hamilton on the other hand, thought the growth of cities should proceed, with whatever risks to rural areas neccessary. Jefferson had a better interpretation of the United States than Hamilton did. In todays society, we see the works of Thomas Jefferson in how the people vote and how they have unalienable rights. We still have some of Hamilton’s ideas too. We have a central government, but it is not as powerful as Hamilton’s idea.

• rachel28901

I like your post, it shows that you read all of the information on the activity. I agree with you on all aspects of your comment, I think that Jefferson was for a more “people controled governemt” which I liked. Good Job!

• marywhite

Thanks for showing up tonight!

• hannah28901

Kevin, your paragraph is rather impressing. You elaborated it very well and answered the questions thoroughly. It is very obvious that you put some hard thought and effort into this. Great job!

• WillSTER

Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton were two great minds with two very opposing opinions on how the new American should be governed and the priorities for making America prosperous. Even though I agreed more with Jefferson on his views, Hamilton I believe has the most lasting impressions today in our country. One of Jeffersons’ main values is that all people no matter what are equal (even though he owned slaves up to his death). Also, he believed that we have unalienable rights that cannot be taken away from human beings no matter what laws or any kind of Constitution is enforced. This is very noticable in our society today because most people put their personal rights at the top of their priorities. A few of Hamiltons’ main and lasting impressions on America were that he wanted a big and strong national government, which we have now, and he thought thatt manufacturing and industry would help America get off to a booming start which we did especially in the early 1900′s. This very important debate between these two influential men was very important to our political system because it made all the political figures examine all aspects about the best way America would prosper and the best way to run the government.

• hannah28901

This is a great paragraph. You’re introductory sentence was very well written, in my opinion! You provided good examples and supported your argument well. I wanted to hear more about Jefferson and how he believed all people should be equal, even though he ironically owned slaved up until his passing. Maybe just elaborate a little bit more on your examples? Very good job, though!

• 7jordan

Good job STER i really enjoyed reading this you made awesome points in this.

• Maci

Jefferson in my opinion is thinking of the people of this country and trusting the actions of the people, Jefferson said ” They may be led astray for a moment, but will soon correct themselves” which in Jefferson’s views should be left to the people which Hamiltons ideas were good to. In Hamilton’s veiws was to have the big city’s and businesses. Although having businesses are good for the econemy and having jobs that the people could make more money in the city rather than working on a farm but Hamilton’s idea should’nt be all based on the city, but on agriculture resources as well, also Hamilton was comfertable with a gap between the rich and the poor which put more of the control in the government which is not bad but the people should be able to have view on things on the country and how it benifits them the american people. In Today’s society both Jefferson and Hamilton’s ideas even though there was separation of rich and poor or how they wanted the government to be they both wanted a better country for the people and how the country is run.

• hannah28901

Maci, you included some good key details in your paragraph, just be cautious of run-on sentences and reptition of words. Be sure to include examples along with your supporting reasons to make your side of the argument stronger!

• ian28901

Maci, you had great examples but maybe you need to express them in a deeper way. Give more thought in the posts and really express your feelings and beliefs. I did see that you had a run-on sentence so watch for that too.

• Andrew

“All men are created equal.” Jefferson’s famous words are what human generations have sought for; staking their lives for equality in social status. Though Jefferson seemed like a hypocrite by not following his own statement, his words have a major influence in our government. Ages ago, peasants pleaded to their king to carry out their cries but in vain. Finally, Jefferson bravely trusts the nation as a human body to govern themselves. In this way, we learn from our past mistakes and rise with more wisdom and knowledge. Hamilton, on the other hand, seemed to distrust the people as we are born to be sinners and preyed upon by mistakes. These debates from these men may cause an altercation but without opposition our political system may not have been the same.

• hannah28901

Andrew, you included some good points in your paragraph, but if I was someone who isn’t familiar with this topic, I would want to know more about the main reasons and examples you provided. You might could explain how and why Jefferson got the reputation of being a hypocrite. Also, I am not educated with that much information concerning the king carrying out the peasants cries of pain, so maybe you could talk a little bit more about that, just because you capture my attention and then more to another subject before I am completely satisfied with reading about that one. Good job!

• amber28901

Andrew, I like the way you started the first sentence off with a quote it really grabs the attention of a reader who doesn’t know what the paragraph is about. Im’s agreeing with Hannah, you should evaluate more on the examples and kind of keep going, it seems your paragraph kind of just stopped but you have some good points, so good job!

• damion28901

Hamilton and Jefferson had two very different ideas of how a government should work. In my opinion they both had some pretty good ideas and some bad ones. Alexander Hamilton though belived that the state should be rich and powerful. I think that this is still playing a role today. Rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. Cities are growing while the rural areas are dying out.For example look at Andrews, it in one time was very popular town full of culter and people, now it is a ghoust town. Look at Murphy it is expanding and growing every day. As Andrews gets poorer Murphy gets biger and better beacuse of the people and there ideas to be a bigger and better town as a whole. We may not like it but Hamilton’s veiws are still in effect today.

• amber28901

damion, you had some good views in your paragraph, it just seems there isn’t alot of information your trying to share. It seems you were just trying to prove one point, but I really liked the example between Andrews and Murphy, I just believe you shouldn’t have ended it with just that, I was really intrested in learning more about Hamilton and Jefferson. So you did a great job witht the example! :)

• amber28901

From researching what Jefferson and Hamilton have done, my perspective is Jefferson had a more enduring vision. “We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men.” These were his inspiring words to others. Jefferson also wanted to look into more future not only creating a government right then, he wanted the best for us Americans today and put himself infront of us to protect our rights today. He wanted people to be over the government while Hamilton on the other hand wanted some sort of dictatorship, which isn’t bad but just after all the things Thomas Jefferson has done; he has a more enduring vision. In today’s society, Jefferson’s ideals has reflected by giving Americans the rights we have today. ”All men are created equal.” These are words helped the political system majorly. Not only that, it helped build us stronger and become more equal. Obviously I believe Jefferson’s ideas are more enduring just because we most likely wouldn’t be in the lives we live today. Both Hamilton and Jefferson have great ideas but I would rather side with Jefferson.

• hannah28901

Amber, you have written a very good paragraph by incorporating Jefferson’s primary quotes and beliefs! A couple of suggestions is to maybe engage your reader a bit more by allowing them to relate in some way. You could include comparisons as to why Jefferson’s beliefs has stood the test of time over Hamilton’s. Another suggestion is that you could maybe tie some event in our history that’s occured in with their beliefs; I think that could improve your paragraph. You did a great job, though!

• Ster

Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton were both strictly revolutionary men with thoughts and opinions of how the future of the United States would continue. At the beginning of the activity I sided with Jefferson because his views on equality and independent victory and rights for each man. But as the decision went on, I started to see that Hamilton’s vision was more enduring. Hamilton had visions that would still act for this generation’s acts. He saw human beings for what they were and created a government accordingly. Furthermore, Jefferson showed hypocritical acts towards slavery; he owned hundreds of slaves up to the day he died but on countless occasions he declared his hatred for slavery. Jefferson’s words were “all men are created equal” but as the activity went on it seemed to me that actions speak louder than words and Hamilton’s words reflected his actions. Hamilton knew that to be a world envied nation we would have to internationally trade. He knew that without urban growth and job opportunities for all, America would not prosper. Hamilton’s view on city development shows in today’s generation. It seems as though America focuses more on the growth in urban environments. In today’s society we have abolished segregation and inequality. Both Jefferson and Hamilton knew that human inequality was a flaw in society but only one could actually show for the actions needed to adjourn it. The debate between these two men caused a lot of issues but with those issues came our United States political system. They both brought something to the table that our nation would benefit from if used with the future in mind.

• Rachel

Both of these men had great visions, but I personally think Jefferson’s is still alive more so than Hamilton’s.Jefferson stated about the poeple in this country, and that is who he had the best visions for, was the people. Two of his great quotes was ” They may be led astray for a moment, but will soon correct themselves” and “All men should be created equal”. Yes it is the people in this country that make the mistakes, but in the end the correct themselves,and it is the people in out country that takes the stand to say “I will do this, or this is what I belive”. So even though both of their visions stand today, Jefferson’s is the one that has a more powerful affect on the people, and this nation.

• JeremyA

As I do agree that both men had visions that have endured through time, only one man’s vision has really been kept alive through the centuries, but I will research and explain who has really had the most long-standing vision. As Hamilton believed in making the economy better through industry and business, Jefferson believed that making a living through farming would sufffice as a proper way of running America. But economy was not the only views the disagreed on, they also had different ideas about the government. Hamilton thought that all people were bad at heart and if put in power of the country, they would surely make wrong decisions. So he believed that the nation should be run be the federal government. But on the the other hand, Jefferson thought that given the choice, the citizens would make the right decisions for the government to run smoothly. “Put a question to a professor and a plowman,” Jefferson said, “and you’d get the better answer from the plowman.” And through the information I have found I believe that thought Jefferson had the better ideas about the government, Hamilton’s vision had lasted the longest, as all that really happens in politics is primarily decided by the government and that the focus of the economy is business, industry, and just outright making money to live a better life and to make this nation wealthy.

• amber28901

This is a good paragraph. It really seems evaluated and good points are thrown out, Good job! I agreed on Jefferson also, so I totally agree onyour points to why you choose Jefferson and I like the way you ended the paragraph as well. :
      Good JOB!!!

• zp28901

Jefferson a man who realized the danger of a very strong central government. He saw that the people should do most of the governing and the states should have their own prospering governments and then the National Government would only be a guide for the country and they would protect the basic rights of the people while the people in turn paid taxes and stimulated the nation’s economy. Don’t get me wrong Alexander Hamilton had good ideas but most where temporary shown when his party died out as of 1824. When Jefferson pictured America as a bunch of farmers he was only half right because still today a large part of the economy is agriculture. Then Alexander did realize the importance of cities. In a short distance race Alexander Hamilton would have won but Thomas Jefferson had the endurance race by far. Mainly because Jefferson realized you can’t have a powerful central government because history repeats itself.

• erik28901

Great paragraph zack, I agree with you about Jefferson’s vision enduring. Though he had his faults I believe it was his vision of america that made the country we have today.

• dp28901

After many readings and searches in the google world, I will most definately have to choose Alexander Hamilton. Alexander Hamilton the was first Secretary of the Treasury and he deserved that position. He was an outside the box thinker and he cared about the future of our country not what he thought was right or wrong. Thomas Jefferson was thinking inside the box, he thought about how the people functioned inside the country rather than how our country will function with the rest of the world. Jefforson gave people way to much credit, don’t get me wrong there are good people in this world but very few. They both supposedly hated slavery wanted it abolished but Hamilton had the bite for it while Jefforson had the bark for it. Hamilton was more realistic, he knew what people were and still are and he knew you could get nowhere without a strong central government. Alexander Hamilton said this, “… an inequality would exist as long as liberty existed, and . . . it would unavoidably result from that very liberty itself.” Yes, segregation was abolished but was it not around, and that also doesn’t change how individuals feel about one another. Alexander Hamiltons view is obviously still with us today. Alexander believed in building cities, and guess what the United States has two hundred cities with at least a population of a hundred thousand and nine of those have over a million individuals. Hamilton also believed in manufactoring, entreprenuership, and jobs for everyone, and what is today’s society? America is one of the top manufactuers in the world, our whole population’s needs and wants is based on technology and the inventions of others and men, woman, teenagers, whites, blacks, ect. all work. Alexander Hamilton’s view of America as a world power still exists today, Jefferson had many good intentions and he still has points that are still argued today but overall Alexander Hamilton had future interests on his mind and that is what America is today.

• --LUTHER--

Dp28901, you made some good points, but why is it that Hamilton worried only about how much money and power the country had and not what the people thought. Jefferson was more on the peoples side. Hamilton wanted a more supreme country. That sounds like dictatorship to me. I am just saying.

• 7jordan

you made some good points in this BOOK you wrote.

• ray28901

Both men, Hamilton and Jefferson had different ideas on what America would or could become. Thomas Jefferson wanted the people to keep the power and expected the people to simply do the right thing. Alexander Hamilton on the other hand wanted a strong government to enforce laws because he thought men where simply out for greed. Jefferson had a good reason behind his ideas but plain and simple you can’t perform as a country without a government. Alexander Hamilton’s ideas have more stood the test of time. The reason is that rich still prosper and pour are struggling. America is built on greed. Its hard to choose who was right but Hamilton’s ideas have continued to be shown and Jefferson’s have faded out.

• Lauren (:

Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson obviously had two very different perspectives of seeing how America was going to be governed. I did som extra research on the two very intelligiant men, and I found that Alexander Hamilton’s point of view seemed to have the better argument. Both men had excellent ideas for our nation. Hamilton seemed to think deeper about the things that were needing to be dealt with at the time. Thomas Jerfferson didn’t free his slaves, after finding that out it just made me want to pull for Hamilton even more. In a recent post, we had to decide if we would side with the Federalists or the Anti-Federalists. I chose the Federalists because they wanted a strong central government, as well as Hamilton. He had plans for our government and thought it through so that it can be used in the centuries to come.

• brady52(:

Thomas Jeferson and Alexander Hamilton both had very different ideas on what would be of America. Hamilton wanted a very strong central government, because he believed to much democracy would bring out the worst in people. Jefferson on the other had wanted to put most of the power in the hands of the people. Personally i like that Jefferson was scared of a strong central govenment. Just think, they just came from a country where the king and queen ruled over them, who would want to be ruled again? Ofcouse nobody! If the central government was as strong as Hamilton wanted it, it wouldnt have been a democracy it would have been far from it actually. Although Hamilton did have some good ideas Jefferson knew that history repeaded itself and went for a people lead counrty.

• Ciara (:

Thomas Jefferson’s vision is most alive today; his vision was for the people of America. Hamilton thought that each state should be rich and powerful but Jefferson thought that each state should have their own government and work together as a nation. Jefferson’s vision is still alive because each state now has their own government, but we as individuals make our own choices, and forms the states. Together all of the states governments come together and make one nation, which makes us powerful all together.

• john28901

Thomas Jefferson and Alexander had very strong beliefs for our government that were very different. I believe that Hamilton’s views have lasted into modern America. Hamilton believed that the national government should hold the power because the people themselves would not be able to control the power they held in their hands. Jefferson believed that people were naturally good and would always right their mistakes. Hamilton knew that people are usually greedy and self-centered and that they would never agree. Hamilton also believed that American city area should be increased regardless of the affect on the rural areas. As we can see, this is rapidly taking place across the USA. Jefferson had some nice ideas in some areas, but Hamilton’s views have obviously had a more lasting affect on the country.

• jacob28901

This was a good paragraph. You supported your decision very well. The thing I would suggest would be to maybe include some examples about Jefferson and some of the things that he believed should happen in America.

• ea28901

Alexander Hamilton and Thomas jefferson, these two great men had so many ideas that have made them so famous and great. At first thought of choosing Thomas Jefferson after reading more i sided with Hamilton. Thomas Jefferson said “We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men.” but he had slaves till the day he died. Hamilton didn’t believe in slaves.
    Hamilton also knew that having a strong central government was good. He also beleived in growth to cities which today there are more cities than farmes and stuff. Hamilton’s ideas are still here today and thats all i have to say about that.

• dk28901

Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton both had some ambitious ideas for our country. I think that Thomas Jefferson’s ideas have lasted to the present day. He believed that the people should have the largest voice in the government. Hamilton was a big supporter of the national government and that the people couldn’t handle any power at all. I think that Jefferson’s ideas truly represent the ideas our founding fathers tried to make this country in to.

• michaela28901

Alexander Hamilton, a man with very strong federalist beliefs had permanent ideas of how the government should be ran. He desired a stong cental government to control the “sinful” and “greedy” nature of people. His everlasting vision is still evident in present times when we think of the recession we are in right now. The concept of having more manufacturing cities to allow more job opportunities was a originally one of Alexander Hamilton’s impressions of a stong way to run the nation. Hamilton also incorporated the faults in people into his muse for the country. He realized the constant struggle of inequality was unavoidable in our society. Although his insight on how his interest in the rich over the poor in insensitive, the need for support from the rich was needed and is still needed. Both Alexander Hamlitons oppions and Thomas Jeffersons contrasting oppions helped shape our political system by giving many different ideas and understandings of how the government could be ran.

• stephanie28901

Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton both had admirable visions on what Americas government should be like. In my opinion, I believe that Hamiltons views had a stronger influence on what todays America is. Alexander Hamilton wanted the country to have a strong government. Yes, to some people, caring about the government may not be that important, but in order to be able to live the lives we want to live, having a strong central government needs to be thought about continuously. This is what Alexander Hamilton wanted to inform the people about and I agree with this view. “Has it not. . . invariably been found that momentary passions, and immediate interests, have a more active and imperious control over human conduct than general or remote considerations of policy, utility and justice?” Yes, people do need more control in our country. Hamilton thought that if there was too much democracy, the people in this country would lose touch with who they are and who they really want to become.This is one belief of Hamiltons that is still seen today. Hamilton believed that people were by nature selfish and sinful, inclined toward greed rather than virtue.

• ian28901

Both Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamiltom had aggressive visions on America’s government. Through a mass of research I have concluded that Alexander Hamilton had the stronger overall look on how our government should move forward to have success. Alexander expressed thoughts that are still around today. He knew that the industries would have a big part in our economy by providing many jobs for America. Jefferson on the other hand thought that the future of our republic depended on farming and nurturing which provided a low-density living. In our America today I feel like we do need a lot of support from the rich as Alexander Hamilton said, but most of the rich in our government care only for themselves. Alexander’s beliefs portrayed that we need a strong and healthy government that has a numerous amount of money. But to this argument I believe that in our government today, both Jefferson and Hamilton have inspired our government and many of their ideas are possessed throughout it. But in the end Alexander Hamilton in my opinion had a more logical state of mind on how our government should be for then, now, and the future.

• 7jordan

Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson are two men that had great ideas regarding the government. In my eyes, I would have to say that Alexander Hamilton had the more enduring vision, instead of Thomas Jefferson. There are two reasons that I chose Alexander Hamilton over Thomas Jefferson. My main reason for choosing Hamilton is that he wanted a strong central government, when Jefferson basically wanted each state to have their own government. Thomas Jefferson was scared of a strong central government due to the fact that he feared the federal government would overpower the states and eliminate some of the peoples’ rights. Contrarily, though, his caution towards a strong central government worked for America for years. My second reason in supporting Hamilton is that I disagree with Jefferson quoting, “Everyone should be equal,” when he ironically had slaves until he went six feet underground. Hamilton, on the other hand, did not have slaves. Hamilton also believed in an industrial and manufacturing economy, which is big in today’s civilization. Hamilton and Jefferson’s ideas both shaped the political system in America today.

• sb28901

Both Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson had very bright visions for America. I believe they both wanted America to prosper and to go strong. They both also wanted the government to be the reason the nation was strong. Even though Hamilton manly focused his energy on creating the institutions that would make America a world power, I feel that Jefferson had more of an impact on America. For Jefferson, incenting the United States meant not only creating a government, but imagining the future. As he spoke “We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men.” I believe he had very good intuition for America and American’s. He believed that all people were equal and deserved liberty, freedom and above all happiness. Also that the government needed to imply this among people of the United States. One of the problems I had with Jefferson was that he didn’t want to free his slaves. When he died his slaves had to be sold in order to pay off his debt. He wanted freedom for the people of the United States but not for the African Americas. As far as how Jefferson’s visions he had for America, his belief that American’s should have freedom is very much so in order today. The right to American’s live their life’s the way they want, to believe in their self’s to accomplish anything on their own is what America is all about. I believe we have Thomas Jefferson to thank for this freedom.

• jacob28901

After researching about Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson, I think that Hamilton’s visions had and are having more of an effect on America than Jefferson’s ideas did. Alexander Hamilton believed that industry and manufacturing was the way to go in order to build a strong country as well as a strong economic system. Hamilton believed that if we started factories and industries, that the job opportunities would open up, thus creating a better economy. People used to live their lives by farming and growing crops. This did not satisy the need for a growing economy. Jefferson believed that this was the way we should live. I do not believe this would have worked in America. Both of these men helped greatly aided in the organization and construction of a strong central government. Thomas Jefferson wanted freedom for the Americans, but not for the African Americans. When Thomas Jefferson died, they had to sell his slaves so that his debt would be paid off. Hamilton on the other hand did not have any slaves. I believe that Hamilton had the most enduring vision for America.

• erik28901

Thomas Jefferson was a man of principle; I believe his vision of America has endured through the ages. Jefferson felt that states had to have the power and it was up to the people to make the right choices. Upon further research I found that Jefferson was a man of many talents he was: a paleontologist, archeologist, musician, and inventor among other things. I believe these qualities helped him to understand the common people. Using his knowledge of the world he made decisions about how this country should be led that affect America today. While Jefferson was a good man and claimed to be against slavery he still had slaves by the time he died, and didn’t let them free in his will; while most would see this as a grave flaw I believe it shows how “human” Jefferson was. He embodied every aspect of the average person which was why his ideals were perfect for the people. Even today we see his ideas live on, though we have become an industrial nation the backbone of our nation is the farms which supply our food. His idea of a government was one of a weaker government and a stronger state. While this idea may not be as prominent now as he originally thought it still is there. Truly our government has only the power that the people give it, we as people choose who to put in office so we directly influence the government who rules us.

• Quotes About Better Eyesight : Improve Eyesight Without Glasses

[...] 1.Whose Vision Endures? – Our American Experience – Edublogs Sep 28, 2010 … In my opinion, Hamilton’s vision has stood the test of time. … I think some of Jefforson’s ideas would have been better for the country, but ….. a very good paragraph by incorporating Jefferson’s primary quotes and beliefs! http://together.edublogs.org/2010/09/28/jefferson-vs-hamilton-whose-vision-endures/ [...]